Whenever you add a manual lead contact to PSAI, you'll be able to designate exactly where that lead came from by creating a custom lead source. You can create as many custom lead sources as you want, allowing you to precisely track where all of your leads are coming from—whether it's canvassing, home shows, external affiliate sites, yard signs, or some other non-PSAI marketing effort.
Follow the instructions below to create a custom lead source from your Com Portal.
Creating a Custom Lead Source
This article assumes that you've already started the process of adding a new contact to PSAI and are now at the "Add New Contact" popup screen. If you don't know how to do this, start by going back to our instructions for adding a manual contact.
1. Click "Add Custom" from the "Lead Source" Drop-Down Menu
To add a custom lead source from your "Add New Contact" panel, click into the drop-down menu labeled "Lead Source" and then click "Add Custom."
2. Fill out Your Lead's Source Details
In the "Add New Source" panel that pops up next, fill out the form fields as shown below.
Here is a bit more information on how to fill in these fields:
- Source Name: You should give your lead source a clear and descriptive name so that you can easily identify it in the future. For instance, you could name the source after its geographic area, head sales rep's name, months of active runtime, or even some combination of these identifying features.
- Source Category: Choose the most relevant source category from the drop-down menu options, which include various sources such as Radio, Lead Aggregators (like Angie's List), and Events.
- Source Type: This field only becomes active for certain types of source categories, including YouTube and Facebook among others. If this field remains gray, then it is inactive and you do not need to choose anything.
3. Save Your New Lead Source
When you've finished filling in the relevant information, click "Add Source" to save your new custom lead source.
Is the "Add Source" button grayed out? That means that some required field has been left empty. Doublecheck that each of the form fields has a response.
Where Will My Custom Lead Source Be Displayed and Used?
After you've created and saved your custom lead source, it will show up in several places throughout the Com Portal for easy reference in the future:
In the "Lead Source" Drop-Down Menu
Anytime that you create a new lead source, it'll automatically be saved as an option within your "Lead Source" drop-down menu.
That means that whenever you add manual PSAI contacts in the future, you'll see the new lead source populated within the list and can select it with just one click. You won't have to spend time recreating the same lead sources over and over again.
In Your Lead Queue
Your custom lead source will also be displayed immediately beneath the lead's name in your lead queue, as shown in the screenshot below. This way you can see your custom lead sources at a glance, just like you can for the leads that automatically flow in through your PSAI marketing sources.
In Your Lead Filter Tool
Your custom lead source will also be available as for use as a lead filter parameter. Just click the "Filter" funnel icon at the top of your lead queue, and you will be able to apply any lead source as a filter—including both the automated leads from your PSAI marketing apps as well as the custom lead sources you've added manually.
Want more information on filtering leads effectively? Check out our guide to searching and navigating the Com Portal.